The age old question: Why do tape extensions slip? Tape hair extensions are so easy to apply that they are actually kind of hard. The actual process is very straightforward, however, there are several little things that often get overlooked that can really effect how long tape in hair extensions last.
Imagine brushing your glorious new hair the morning after a new tape hair extension application! Now imagine them falling out. The SHOCK, the HORROR! Your world has come to a complete STOP.
What happens next? You reach for the phone frantically calling the salon asking to speak to your good for nothing hair weaver! How did this happen? Could it have been prevented? You bet your sweet hair weave it could have!
What if I told you that you could prevent 99% hair extension mishaps? It’s not to good to be true, at Big Kizzy we have over 25 years of combined experience educating salons on hair extensions. We believe KNOWLEDGE can empower you to not practice mistakes. Here are a few tips to help identify and alleviate tape hair extensions from slipping!
Why Do Tape Extensions Slip? It Might Be You!
1. Hold Up – Wait a Minute – It’s all about time frames! When did the slipping occur? Typically slipping within the first week will always be stylist related UNLESS the client violated the no workout or shampooing your hair for 48 hours rule.
2. Goldilocks Rule – Just the Right Amount. How much hair do you have between your tape extension “sandwich?” Having too much hair in between the panels will prevent the wefts from adhering to each other. Texture means everything you want to make sure your guest with thin fine hair, have enough hair on the panel to prevent breakage. Stay tuned for Big Kizzy’s Education Videos to see what is the right amount of hair and what’s too little.
3. Alignment – Are your extensions wefts perfectly aligned. Check your work! No matter how many tape hair applications you’ve done is crucial. It can be tricky to making sure the panels are properly aligned. A simple feel test will tell you everything. When pinching the panels together if you feel any stickiness your probably feeling the panels misaligned. Use your Big Kizzy Remover 1 to take out, retape with the correct hair extension tape and reapply.
4. Press it. PRESS IT REAL GOOD!! Every other day press all your tape “sandwiches” together. This will make sure your tapes stay sealed together – reducing slippage & bond failure.
5. PROPER EXTENSION CARE PRODUCTS – 4 Reelz! It’s all about what your using and how your using it! Big Kizzy was created out of a need for women who want an AMAZING and not average product when it comes to her extensions and her own hair. Our F.A.T.T. Shampoo is perfect for any guest that does extensions, keratin or color. It will not cause your extensions to slip or strip Keratin out of your guests hair. It is the first shampoo of it’s kind. First, Better and Different!
Yes, we know this is a shameless product plug, however, our products were born out of experience not theory!!!